This may be my last journal entry on CaringBridge.com. If my cancer returns, I will most likely restart this online journal again.
So, what's next, you may ask?
There is a stirring in my heart to put in writing about a social issue that is very important to me:
The negative effects that an abusive and absentee father has on a young boy.
Through a survivor's personal account, along with literature reviews and research (Viktor Frankl's theory on Logotherapy), I hope to skillfully write a book that addresses how abusive and absentee fathers in our country adversely impacts the relational, vocational and emotional development of young boys. And I even built a blog to compile my research and citations on, along with some of my writing excerpts: http://www.ishmaelscry.com/.
There you have it. The beginning of my next fight.
Hopefully...prayerfully...the cancer does not return and prevent me from finishing this book.
With warmest regards,
Alex J. Harrington
PS: I would like to thank the following individuals who strongly encouraged me to go down this literary path:
- Karen Leniart, former speech writer at Customs and Border Protection.
- Kris Maypole, a kindred spirit who works for the U.S. Border Patrol.
- Ralph Hardy, my fellow Brother-in-Christ and mentor.
- Harriet Scripps, my mother who endearingly loves her son.
- And my beautiful wife, Teresa, who has been prodding me to write this book for the past 10 years.